Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Quote of the Day


C.H. Spurgeon in a letter to his father in the year 1850 shortly after he was 'saved',

"Since last Thursday, I have been unwell in body, but I may say that my soul has been almost in Heaven.  I have been able to see my title clear, and to know and believe that, sooner than one of God's little ones shall perish, God Himself will cease to be, Satan will conquer the King of kings and Jesus will no longer be the Savior of the elect.  Doubts and fears may soon assail me, but I will not dread to meet them if my Father has so ordained it; He knows best.  Were I never to have another visit of grace, and be always doubting from now until the day of my death, yet ' the foundation of the Lord standeth sure, having this seal, the Lord knoweth them that are His'  I see now the secret, how it was that you were enabled to bear up under all your late trials.  This faith is far more than any of us deserve; all beyond hell is mercy, but this is a mighty one.  Were it not all of sovereign, electing, almighty grace, I, for one, could never hope to be saved.  God says, 'You shall,' and not all the devils in hell, let loose upon a real Christian can stop the workings of God's sovereign grace, for in due time the Christian cries, 'I will.'  Oh, how little love have I for One who has thus promised to save me by so great a salvation and who will certainly perform His promise!"

No comments:

Post a Comment